Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

St. Nick's Day

Growing up in my family, one of the traditions to our holiday season was St. Nick's Day. Most people I've ever mentioned "St. Nick's Day" to have had no idea what I'm talking about. It's a European tradition, I'm honestly not too sure how common it is in the U.S...but my Mom is from Germany and grew up with this tradition and then carried it on into her own family. It's pretty simple really, you put your boot outside the door on December 6th (you can even go as far as leaving your "Christmas wish list" in the boot) and St. Nick comes along (takes the letter) and fills the boot with goodies. I loved it when I was little, going outside and finding your boot filled with candy! What little kid wouldn't love that?

Of course there's more to the story behind why St. Nick's day exists, but that's something a simple google search could answer for you...I'm not going to go into the whole story. But it was fun, and we decided to do St. Nick's Day with Vienna.

"St. Nick" filled V's boot with Gerber Arrowroot cookies (since she's too little for candy & chocolate) and a Christmas bib...

...V discovered the goodies in her boot...


...in which she shoved an entire cookie into her mouth.


Does anyone else celebrate St. Nick's day?

No comments: