Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Garage Moving Sale

I am having a moving sale right now, its the first sale I've ever done by myself. Its a little tricky to attend to the stream of people coming to shop at the sale and try to do necessity things like use the bathroom, or eat. On top of that with being pregnant I get really sick when I get too hungry and I of course make more frequent trips to the bathroom. So much fun.

I'm typically a huge fan of garage/yard/moving sales. Scoring deals on things like kids clothes for instance: people sell things for 25cents, things their kids only wore once or twice and grew out of. I love buying basically brand new things for a fraction of its original cost. Granted, you do have to do some searching and there are a lot of junk thing and sales.

I've put on four garage sales in the last five years. Its a lot of work to put together, organize and price things, but it has always been worth it, walking away with profits of hundreds of dollars for getting rid of things that you never used anyway. I've always gotten good reviews from the garage sales I've participated in, comments like "Oh! This is nice stuff!" or "Wow, you sell really cheap." Or "I need to tell my friend about this sale!" That makes me feel good, not only because I'm getting rid of things and making money but because it appears to be helping and making someone's day because they scored a deal. I know I love it when I score deals- I'm glad I can do that for someone else.

However, this particular sale has been rather exhausting, boring, frustrating and not as pleasant as previous ones. I find myself more and more irritated with some people.
  • Like when someone switches tags on your items, taking off the $1 sticker and putting on the 25 cent one from something else. Just ask if I'd take less... don't be dishonest about it.
  • Or when someone asks if you'll take less and you say no or counter offer and they get pissed about it and walk off in a huff.
  • Or when someone offers you $5 for an item that was $15 and you counter offer and then they turn around and counter that offer with "How about $6?" Umm...if I didn't take $5 why do you think I'd take $6. Seriously.
  • Or how about when you total someone's purchase "It'll be $5 please," and they scrounge through their purse trying to come up with the amount and give you $3.50 claiming that's all they have and expect you to say "Okay, that's fine." Whatever, its just stuff, I gave them the deal.
  • Or when that very person comes back that same day and buys more things. Hmm, maybe they have a Mary Poppins purse and money just magically appears in random amounts. No, she didn't offer to pay for the stuff I let her take.
Sigh. Don't you just love garage sales. :) Typically I do. But not today. I'm so ready for four o'clock to come.

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Sticker switching would annoy me... and the Mary Poppins purse lady! I want to have a sale when I move back... get rid of a bunch of stuff! Hopefully yours worked out in the end!

Unknown said...

:( You should have had a sign up that says:

"Hormonal pregnant lady on the lookout!! Don't mess with me!!"

:)

omabear said...

Heidi had a good one :) DON'T MESS WITH ME ! :) :) :) :) :)