Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

News and a Story

Okay, first let me explain why I haven't blogged in awhile. My life has taken the turn for some life altering changes, one of which we were trying to keep a secret for awhile and the other because we weren't certain on yet. So every time I wanted to blog it involved either of the two things going on in my life- thus explains my absence.

Now, I'm back.

And I'm pregnant! (if you haven't heard yet)

We've wanted a baby for a long time (that's another whole story) and were surprised and thrilled to finally get a positive test result! I wanted to tell everyone right away but we really wanted to tell our families in person so we waited five long weeks for our scheduled trip back home and it was worth the wait to see everyones faces! So now that they know, everyone gets to know!

The other big news.... we're moving! My husband got promoted to run an office in Minnesota - which of course he is very excited about - they actually created the job for him so we were both completely blown away and thrilled. We always intended to move back to MN but didn't think everything would happen so suddenly and fall into place like it has. We are excited, though nervous, and I'm especially nervous because we're moving in less than three weeks! We just found out that they want him there earlier than we expected (we thought we'd have six weeks or so) but nope...only three! I'm slightly freaking out about everything that needs to get done in this short amount of time. This week especially is so incredibly busy I can hardly think. I'm consciously trying not to get stressed and to take it easy, and I keep telling myself that it's okay if not everything gets done. :)

So because of all this talk about moving I debated whether or not to go to the doctor/midwive here or wait until we move. When I first found out I was pregnant there was a possibility of us moving so I wanted to wait until it was more definite before I made a decision about going in. Mainly because I'm not on insurance and I'd have to go through the hassle of getting on state insurance just for one doctors visit only to move and try to get on insurance again. So I called up the hospital here and talked to a nurse and asked her if she could give me an honest opinion, I told her my situation and she said that if it were her she'd wait to see the doctor/midwife until she moved. If I was high risk or used some method to get pregnant I would've gone in in a heartbeat, but since I'm not and we didn't, we both felt comfortable waiting.

Don't yell at me. :) I know some would frown on that decision. But I feel comfortable about it and think I'm knowledgeable enough on prenatal care to be safe.

So I was talking to my boss yesterday about all of this (I work for a couple that are in the medical profession) and she didn't disagree with my decision, instead she made a startling offer and I was crossing my fingers in hopes that it would work out. She suggested that since she was supervisor that night at the hospital she could "sneak" me in and use the doppler on me to hear the heartbeat - though we weren't sure if we'd actually hear it since I'm only twelve weeks along. But I hoped!

I got the call that we could come in and try just as I was getting ready to go to bed (okay, it was only nine, but I had to get up at 4:45 this morning so I was trying to call it an early night.) We get there and a nurse pulls out the doppler and tries to search for the heartbeat, she told me if we couldn't find it not to worry, it didn't mean something was wrong it could just simply be too early to hear it. She rubbed that thing all over my tummy and my heart sunk when I realized we weren't finding anything. Then all of the sudden you could hear its speedy little heart racing its beat - it was amazing! Of course I knew and believed I was pregnant this whole time, but actually hearing your baby inside makes it so much more real! The nurse turned off the doppler and said, "Okay, now that I've heard that lets do an ultrasound." Andy almost freaked, just on the way in he said that it would be awesome if we could get an ultrasound done. I told him that it wasn't going to happen, my boss was pulling enough strings for me just to hear the heartbeat. So to our utter surprise when she announced that and pulls in this old ultrasound machine it was like Christmas morning! Seeing the baby was so amazing, I can't even describe it. There's actually a little life growing inside of me...wow. The baby never stopped moving, it was kicking its legs and arms everywhere and bouncing around. The nurse kept saying "Oh wow, that's a good shot" I guess our little baby was putting on a show for us and making sure we got to see its little arms and legs and freaky alien eyes. :) We got a few pictures, though they're not very good, she said the machine was old and didn't even know if the printer would work. But we got a couple shots nonetheless!

I was blown away. Totally unexpected and very very generous of my employer to do that for us. It was so exciting, not only because we got to see our baby, but because we weren't expecting it at all. I am so thankful to her for doing that for us, free! Wow, I feel truly blessed right now.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay!! Congratulations Kristy and Andy!! I'm so happy for you both. Praise God for the blessing of a child and what great circumstances he orchestrated for you to be able to even see your little one! Do you know where in MN you'll be living? Longfellow is a nice neighborhood! ;-) I'll be praying for you in the next couple of weeks...sounds crazy, but exciting too!

Tia said...

Wow!!! Amazing! I bet your heart was pounding as much as the babies! :) Great experience, even if it does look a little weird on the ultrasound :) It does make if feel more real and then even more when you feel him/her move!! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so glad that you got to see your baby!! That is the best part. Hearing and seeing them for the first time when you are still not showing enough to make you wonder if it really is true or if your body is tricking you or something :)

Kayla said...

YAY! I'm glad that you got to see and hear your baby! It's so special the first time! Well, and every time after that! haha! Then you get to see how much they have changed in just a few weeks! It's amazing your boss pulled all those strings for you! Yay for good bosses:)

Kimberly Wright said...

Congratulations on the pregnancy! :)

omabear said...

What a BLESSING :) :) :) :) :) THANK GOD daily :) :) :) :) :)

WoRds/WoNDer said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you!