Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Process

Well, it's two weeks later and I am still exhausted and stressed. I don't think that feeling will stop until we finally settle into our own place. After staying with my parents for two weeks while Andy traveled to Chicago, and back and forth from Minneapolis for training, we moved in with my brother and his family. We are only an hour away from Andy's work and our soon-to-be home town, hopefully things won't feel so stressful now that traveling has been cut back quite a bit.

I'm in the process of trying to find a home for us. I'm trying not to be too picky, but I want to like where we live if we're going to be there for the next year or two. I really don't want to live in apartment. It's really hard to go from owning a big whole home to moving into a smaller place, and I really had my hopes set on finding a house to rent. But so far, nothing. I have one option, an apartment that only has four units in the building and its outside of town and even has a nice view of a lake, but just the fact that its an apartment is stopping me from getting it. I don't love it, there is a couple of things I don't like about the place - I can't paint, which isn't a surprise, but I really wanted to do a nursery for the baby, so I'm a little bummed about that. And the layout of the living room is kind of impractical, and there is a couple of other things I dislike. Am I being too picky? I figured if I don't find a place by the end of this week then we'll probably just take that place. It just doesn't scream "home" to me, but then I'm not sure if anything will until I've lived there for awhile.

Who knows.

I'm still crossing my fingers for a house! :)

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Hmm... I really wanted to do a nursery too for Gabriel, like super bad, but we never had room and/or money.

I think that if you find a place that you like then you should get it. Josh and I went through months trying to find an apartment in Duluth that we liked and still ended up in crummy places. Personally, if I found a place that I liked and only had a few things that I wasn't too sure about, I would take it! Plus, I'm guessing you guys will be looking for a home to buy at some point? So you won't be there for too long!

And, about the nursery, it's so much easier to have the baby in your room for the first couple of month (until they stop waking up in the middle of the night to eat) anyway, so a nursery can sometimes be 'pointless' the first couple of months. You change diapers in the living room and they sleep in your room... the nursery just holds the clothes!

But I'm not exactly one to talk, we've never had a nursery and Gabe is going to be one now and won't have one for probably another year and by that time he will be too old and ready for big boy stuff... so I don't know if they are worth it or not:) I'm hoping that whenever we have another baby we will have the space and money to do the whole decked out nursery... or at least paint a room blue or pink! LOL!

Unknown said...

I hope you find a house too. It would be hard to feel like I was "moving backward" by moving into an aparment...even after living here - which is not a house, but enough non-apartmemtish that I can say I think I know how you feel. Your baby really won't be in a nursery much the first few months, but that is definitely not a reason to not want a nursery! :) You should definitely want one.

Anonymous said...

Where are you looking - location and for homes? If you need some help or assistance let me know. Brian's uncle is a real estate agent and often knows of locations, rentals, etc.
Tiff