Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Project Nursery

Okay, last one.

And, of course, this project was the most fun!

We'll call it: "Project Nursery." But really it all started with the bedding.

I got it in my head to make baby bedding...Why? you might ask. Well, First--I couldn't find a single thing that I liked online...lets just face it, they don't make little boys stuff as cute as they make little girl stuff. Second--even if I did find something I liked I couldn't justify spending the money on it. And Thirdly--I figured it really couldn't be that hard to make it myself.

I was right.

And I was wrong. All at the same time.

Let me explain.

It was extremely difficult figuring out what I wanted...the possibilities were endless. When I finally decided and went to the store to buy the material (after discovering it was out of stock online) I found out that it was out of stock in the store too. Huge bummer--and I was already running out of time. So my sister and I spent...waaaaaay too long in the fabric store coming up with something different than what I had been planning. It turned out to be a good thing because I ended up loving the new patterns more than what I originally picked out, but it was definitely a headache deciding!

I was anxious to start and decided to start with what I thought would be the most difficult. The crib blanket. I was wrong. It was so easy and turned out to be smoothest project I tackled these last months! It sort of just fell together, it wasn't complicated, I didn't have any of those "uh-oh" moments when I was cutting or sewing the material. If sewing was like that all the time...I would make so many things! Good thing it's not...because despite the fact that I made a few pieces of crib bedding...I'm really not a sewer. Please don't look at my work too closely.

But I'm happy with it. Actually, I totally love it.


This picture doesn't do it justice, it looks far too wrinkly. 

Next, I made the crib skirt. Nothing fancy. I didn't even use the sewing machine. I pretty much just cut the panels and used hemming tape to hem the edges. Then I used hemming tape to make little strips that I attached to the panels (with hemming tape of course) so that I could tie the little strips onto the crib spring base. That way when I lower the mattress I can just move the ties up so that it still falls to the floor.


Because I had material leftover from the bedskirt (which was my favorite pattern,) I decided to throw together a "cuddle" blanket. And when I say "throw" I mean that I intended it to be quick, easy, and look great...but in reality it literally looks like I threw it together. Ugh. I don't think I will ever be making one of these again. It was a nightmare. I almost gave up so many times. But I kept telling myself not to waste the money on the fabric so I persevered. After many late nights and much frustration, I finally got it to look okay. I really love the colors and I still hope that if he gets attached to a blanket it will be this one. But...just don't look at my sewing...it's scary.



I also made curtains, which I don't love. They were super easy, got them done in one night. But after seeing the room together I probably would've chosen a different material. Oh well. It's fine and at this point, I'm kind of done sewing for awhile. :)

But I ended up with bedding that I totally love, and it cost me a fraction of what I would've spent if I bought something new. And I got an extra blanket, two pillows and curtains out of the deal. :)

Aren't these pillows cute? I had to do something with the leftover material. But note the adorable little donkey next to them...my older sister got that for me the weekend we picked out all of my fabric and I am totally in love with it. Cutest stuffed animal. Ever. If only you could see his little tail. :)


So here's his completed room. :)  Which I'm totally excited about and can't wait to change him and feed him in everyday. I love being in the room, in fact we all do--I often find Vienna playing in here throughout the day. Sometimes I just stand at the door and think about what this little boy is going to look like and who he is going to be. Creating a nursery is very therapeutic for me, and making his bedding was a really awesome way for me to bond with this little man (despite the frustrating moments!) It's been different bonding with him than it was connecting with Vienna...mostly because I didn't have a kid when I was pregnant with her to occupy me so I had all the time in the world to think about her. The experience is definitely different the second time around, not any less special, just different and for me it was really nice to work on this and be able to spend time thinking about him.



1 comment:

Lisa said...

It looks great!